Push notifications are another tool that marketers can use to get users’ attention. It’s merely another distraction for the customer.
They frequently interrupt and are impersonal. Marketers must comprehend the user experience to develop a push notification strategy that works.
You can use these notifications to encourage people to interact with your brand. You have a better chance of establishing top-of-mind awareness if you can get your push notifications right since 42% of smartphone users have push notifications turned on and 80% of Internet users own a smartphone.
We’ll cover push notifications in today’s blog post, including what they are, why they matter, and how marketers can create an effective push notification strategy.
Push Notifications: What Are They?
Customers can receive communications on their phones via push notifications without opening any apps first. For instance, you will receive push notifications for new messages, friend requests, and other things if you have the Facebook app loaded on your phone.
Push notifications can also include offers for goods and services, frequent updates, announcements of new features, and reminders.
Push notifications mainly serve to grab your attention:
- Push notifications are used by businesses to encourage consumers to visit their app or website and take action.
- For instance, Instagram employs push notifications to notify you whenever someone likes or comments on one of your photos. To encourage users to make a purchase right away, e-commerce platforms use push alerts when they have fresh offers or promotions.
- They can significantly increase website traffic and customer engagement if used properly.
Three main categories of push notifications exist:
- Web push notifications:
- These appear on your desktop or laptop, usually when your browser is open. They are employed to raise website traffic and interaction.
- Desktop push notifications:
- These alerts, which are typically from the apps that are already installed on your system, show up on your desktop or laptop screens.
- Mobile app push notifications:
- Push notifications from mobile apps are also brought on by the presence of those apps on your device. They typically appear on your notification center, banner, or lock screen.
Text Messages vs. Push Notifications
Direct one-way contact between an app and its users occurs through push notifications. These messages can be sent at any time by the app publishers, but the users (recipients) cannot reply. Recipients can reply and send messages back to the sender using text messaging.
Only if the user downloads the app and grants the app permission to deliver alerts a push notification be sent. Text messages are delivered to the user’s messaging app since they are sent to their phone number. They don’t need a particular application or authorization.
Why should I use Push Notifications?
Although push notifications may appear like a disruptive technique to capture subscribers’ attention, they are high-quality push notifications. Relevant push notifications have the potential to enhance clickthrough rates, engage your user base, and keep your audience interested.
Push notifications can be transformed into very effective audience engagement and re-engagement tools when they are sent at well-chosen times. For instance, location-aware push messages that are delivered when a user is near a real store can increase sales from that location.
Strategy for Push Notifications: 5 Best Practices
Here are five tried-and-true guidelines to assist you to create a successful push notification campaign now that we are aware of the advantages of a push notification plan.
1. Make an effort to initially establish a relationship with your clientele:
- Push notification settings differ between iOS and Android users. Notifications are enabled by default on Android devices, but not on Apple devices. Avoid the default permission requests if you want your push notifications to be well-received.
- A customer won’t be open to hearing any communications from you if they are unfamiliar with your product. That’s because they haven’t yet trusted your brand or business. Before requesting their consent, it’s critical to prove the worth of your offering.
2. segment your audience:
- There is sufficient empirical support for audience segmentation. Depending on the type of industry, segmentation can boost click-through rates by up to 218%, claims Push Engage (a well-known provider of push notifications services).
- Some marketers are content with providing the same message to everyone on their list; they just don’t like to segment their audience. Your objective as a marketer should be to deliver the appropriate push notification service message to the appropriate audience at the appropriate time.
- Furthermore, your audience will never be entirely qualified. It requires work to find the “appropriate audience.” Depending on their past purchasing behavior and how they interact with your brand’s online resources, the term “appropriate audience” can be further segmented.
- Even while YOU may not discover as many audience segments, segmentation is still the most effective technique to conduct effective marketing!
- Answering these inquiries about your audience could help you segment it effectively:
- What decade are they in?
- What group do you mostly serve?
- What are they looking for, and why?
- Could you provide a list of both frequent and rare problems your product or service can resolve?
- What are their overarching passions in terms of your market?
- Additionally, you should customize the push notifications. You might be able to achieve a deeper level of customization depending on the push notification kinds you send.
3. Determine which push notification type each message requires.
- Push notifications are, technically speaking, just text blocks with a title, a sub headline, one or more CTA buttons, and (sometimes) a settings button.
- The format of push notifications can be utilized in a variety of inventive ways. They can elicit pleasurable feelings if applied effectively. When people click on the CTA, it might strengthen their pleasant feelings.
- But for what reason should you send what kind of push notifications?
- Let’s look at some original uses for push notifications.
- Reminders are a fantastic technique to encourage consumers to return to your website or app. For instance, there is a chance for a push notification reminder if your user’s profile is incomplete.
- You may remind users to review the links they saved if they saved some stuff in your app. For instance, job search software may prompt users to submit their applications for all of the jobs they have saved.
- Informative notifications:
- Is there any breaking news that your audience needs to pay attention to? Send a push notification to remind them. Have you recently launched a brand-new video program or an upgrade to your current product?
- Send them this information. Since people already have a lot on their plates at work, your reminders may eventually win them over to your business.
- Services based on location:
- The best and most effective usage of app push notifications, in my opinion. Your app has to have access to the user’s phone’s GPS location to implement this notification.
- If your app offers a location-based service, make use of it by reading the user’s location and sending them offers or material that is useful to them nearby.
- When a user travels to a certain location, a travel app, for instance, can offer a blog about the history of that city. A piece on fantastic but unknown hiding places in that city can also be shared.
- We at iMETADEX advise that you use these push alerts with extreme caution. You should organize your strategy properly and ask the user’s permission because not all users will feel comfortable sharing their location.
- Time-limited deals:
- Reminders for scarcity marketing are also best implemented through push notifications. When a limited-time deal is about to expire, send them a reminder.
- Avoid sending too many of these end-of-deal reminders; with scarcity marketing, it’s incredibly simple to send spam push alerts in place of actual reminders.
- Product Suggestions:
- In e-commerce businesses, these notifications can be used with ease for upselling and cross-selling. Remind them to purchase socks, mittens, and winter hats, for instance, if they recently purchased a winter sweater using your app.
- Do you want to give it a more specific recommendation? Send them a push notification that leads them to the page for your best-selling items so they can place the order straight away.
- User-defined Occasions:
- Do you want to remind your users about any particular occasions or moments in their days? On the settings section for your app, give them complete control over these push alerts.
- For instance, Reddit lets users choose the notifications they want to receive. It not only lessens spam but also makes sure that these messages are current and appropriate at all times.
4. Provide simple methods for opting out:
- Push notifications are solely determined by permission. It is necessary to make it simple for users to unsubscribe or opt-out because that authority may be revoked at any time.
- This allows you to target only prospects who are interested because the client still has a choice over the alerts they get.
- Make it clear to them that by modifying the permissions in their notification settings, they may customize how they receive messages.
5. Evaluate your outcomes:
- The success of your campaign must be assessed, just like any other endeavor. Campaign outcomes can be linked to corporate goals like engagement levels, clickthrough rates, etc.
- You can also monitor each push notification’s efficacy by supplying unique tracking IDs and URLs.
- Utilize the various platforms and resources available to you to measure the effectiveness of your campaigns and improve your push notification initiatives.
Avoid These 5 Common Errors When Developing Your Push Notification Strategy
Push notifications (whether they be mobile, online, or mobile web) are ultimately about features you can add to strengthen your engagement with the consumer.
We’ve covered five push notification strategy hacks so far that can help you improve your brand and foster a relationship with your users.
Let’s now look at several errors that each business owner should avoid while using push notifications.
- An excessive number of push notifications:
- The most frequent error is this one. Additionally, it is the one that leads consumers to turn off notifications, which is bad for the long-term plan.
- It can be tempting to send numerous messages to catch your consumers’ attention but push notifications to let you develop relationships with them in real time.
- Customers may decide to completely opt-out as a result of this being overdone.
- You will observe conversions and improvement when there is a balance between having too few and having too many.
- Push notifications that are impersonal and generic:
- There are differences in your user base.
- Your audience won’t respond well to a push notification campaign that is planned that solely entails sending generic messages.
- Smart audience segmentation, which will enable you to send only pertinent communications to the appropriate target, was described before.
- Push notification times are irregular:
- Time zone differences should be taken into consideration when segmenting your audience. Likely, you won’t succeed in grabbing their attention if you don’t automatically arrange your messages for a specific portion.
- Launching push notifications after a delay:
- Notifications for new users are crucial because they contribute to the first consumer’s perception of your brand. Every partnership needs a special welcome message set up at the start to ensure a seamless onboarding process.
- Your first notification’s sole function is to notify you. The notice wording should be straightforward and benefits-focused.
- Not attempting to use rich material:
- There is a lot of area for experimentation because a push notification is not a text message. Your message ought to be original to get the user’s attention. You can experiment with various notification types on cell phones because they offer a lot of customizing options.
Hopefully, after reading this list, you found a few refreshing and practical ways to make your push notifications more effective on a personal level. It’s a little bit of extra work up front, but if you give some thought to the recipients’ feelings and motivations, you’ll create an experience that is well worth the time spent.
To discover more about search results and SEO tools that will accelerate your website to the top of the search results, get in contact with iMetaDex.
To learn more about iMetaDex™, click here.
MetaSense Marketing Management Inc.